Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Baby Bills Bills Bills!!

Babies cost money.

I knew this, and I'm certain that's the purpose behind a baby shower--to help parents out with necessities like diapers, clothes for every month, gift cards to buy strollers and all that other stuff they will use for 2-3 months and then outgrow.

But as soon as I went into labor, I was thrown into such a whirlwind that nothing else mattered; in the hospital it was just me and her. I hit a magical button and someone came to my rescue with either drugs (I had a C-section), fresh sheets, or food.  No worries about bills being paid and what we still needed to buy.

Then, I left the hospital and the magic button.


I had a rude awakening with:
  • Bills that had accumulated throughout the pregnancy such as blood tests and ultra sounds.
  • my utilities were behind because I had went into labor 2 weeks and everything was put on hold
  • Rent for my apartment--baby was born at the end of February and I have to pay at the beginning of every month
A few weeks later the hospital bill (approximate numbers before insurance):
 $1000 to just pay the doctors and anesthesiologist who delivered my baby
$3,000 for my hosptial stay
$3,000 for her hospital stay
$500 for her shots and checkups

Since a baby doesn't exist, you can't add him/her to insurance untill after he/she is born.  Pearl was automatically assumed to be on my insurance when I had her.  She is on her father's insurance.  The hospital still wants all of their money.

Yeah, I seriously have $3,000 just to randomly hand out.

Oh yeah, and I have student loans--and is it just me, or are they becoming worse than creditors?

Generally, I'm good at balancing  and budgeting everything, but this...this is a lot.  Especially now that she's here, I'm having trouble remembering everything. 

This is just a rant, I wouldn't trade my experience or having Pearl in my life for any reason, but I wish I had a hospital/rent/student loan shower.

Or a magic button :)







No comments:

Post a Comment